Riding a bike through the mountains can be a fun and exhilarating experience. However, sometimes you want to share the fun with your friends. While you can invite them on the ride, they may not have the same appetite for adventure that you do.
Thankfully, using a GoPro to record your biking makes it easy to share with friends or create content. But which is the best GoPro for mountain biking? This guide will take you through a couple of different options worth considering.
- If you want the top of the line, the GoPro HERO 7 Black is likely for you. It is the flagship product and is not only durable and waterproof, but offers incredibly clear and crisp photos and videos of all your adventures.
- If you have a budget but still want something great, the GoPro HERO 7 White w/ Adventure Kit is a good option. In addition to sharing many features with the flagship Hero 7 Black, this affordable bundle also comes with mounts, a frame and even a carrying case.
- The GoPro HERO 6 Black is a great choice for those who don’t need the newest option. Even still, it offers great video, stabilization and can easily be mounted to your bike. While not the newest model, the performance of this camera still makes it a good option.
Who Should Get This?
As you could imagine, these GoPros are perfect for those who want to capture the content of their rides, or map out or review a certain route in real-time. Even if you only participate in road biking or racing, a GoPro can still help you capture awesome photos and videos.
Of course, GoPros can be used for dozens of other things from surfing, snowboarding, aerial photos, vlogging and even strapping one to your dog and seeing what they do every day.
For those who don’t bike or participate in any action sports, or have no interest in recording interesting parts of life, you may not have a need for any of the GoPros we will mention in this guide.
Best GoPro for Mountain Biking: What to Consider in 2022
If you take a GoPro mountain biking, it is normal to expect it to get some bumps and bruises along the way. Because of this, it is a good idea to make sure the GoPro you get is quite durable. If not, you could end up breaking many of them throughout your journeys or adventures.
Picture and Video Quality
A GoPro is an action camera, so you want to make sure it takes good photos and videos. It should potentially offer a variety of modes and shoot in a high resolution. If the camera lacks quality, you are not going to be great content or photos from it. Many GoPros have different camera qualities, so be sure to take the time to choose one that suits your needs.
You want your GoPro to be able to keep up with your active and exciting lifestyles, so you need to make sure it has a strong battery life. It should be able to last a decent while without needing a charge. Also, whether you have good battery life or not, carrying a spare battery with you is never a bad idea.
Best GoPro for Mountain Biking: Our Picks for 2022
1. GoPro HERO 7 Black
Whether mountain biking or otherwise, the GoPro Hero 7 Black is a common and popular choice. It shoots crystal clear 4k60 video, takes 12MP photos and captures awesome time-lapse videos. The camera even allows you to live stream directly from it.
The HyperSmooth stabilization ensures that every video is stabilized, no matter how rough your journey or terrain is. Despite how much it can do, the device is incredibly light and compact, while still being incredibly rugged and durable. Great battery life rounds out one of the single best action cameras out there today.
- Offers rugged durability
- Many high-end features like HyperSmooth stabilization and Super Photo
- Shoots stunning photos and videos in any conditions
- The camera can sometimes “lock up” on users, which can be annoying
2. GoPro HERO 7 White w/ Adventure Kit
While the Hero 7 White is the base model (when compared to Black and Silver) it is still a great choice for mountain bikers. It has a number of user-friendly features from its touch screen, its shot framing, stabilization, voice control and many others.
It shoots 1080p video, and is capable of taking photos at 10MP, all which help contribute to a great and valuable camera. Add in the many mounts, the frame, the carrying case and the cable, and this bundle is certainly an option to consider.
- The adventure kit is full of helpful items
- The design is sleek and waterproof
- It is very user-friendly in regards to most of its features
- The device can overheat easily
- Missing some of the features of the more advanced models
3. GoPro HERO 6 Black
While not the newest edition of the GoPro, it still remains one of the best. This camera can capture both 4k and 1080p video, with great image quality as well. Your footage will be smooth and stabilized, and the camera is waterproof up to 33 feet.
The device can quickly copy pictures and videos to your phone, offers great low-light support and even includes GPS. It also features voice control and a very intelligently designed touch screen.
- Great quality for the price
- Waterproof without the need for a case
- QuikStory can help you make cool edited videos
- Requires a dongle to use an external mic
- Battery life isn’t where many would like it to be
Useful Tips and Resources
While the GoPros mentioned here are quite durable and capable of taking a pounding, it is important to still treat them well. Store them in safe places, keep them clean, and do your best not to drop them during transport. The better you treat your GoPro and related accessories, the longer they will last you.
When recording your rides, be sure to try out some different mounts. Each mount can give the viewer a very different experience of the same ride. There are mounts for handlebars, mounts for your chests, for your helmet and for many other places. Experiment with different kinds and see what works best for you.
Also, when riding your bike in the mountains in rough terrain, it is important to be safe. Even a single fall can sometimes be very dangerous and devastating, so always stay focused and keep your wits about you. Check out the following article for helpful information and tips on riding safely.
A GoPro can be a mountain biker’s best friend. It can help you capture great content, record your rides or even help you study a particular path or course. Hopefully this guide has helped you be able to decide which GoPro is best for your needs as a mountain biker.
If you are a mountain biker who uses a GoPro that isn’t on this list, or know about one that you feel deserves a spot, let us know in the comment section.