You can transfer GoPro video to iPad by using the GoPro Quik app, an SD card reader dongle for your iPad, or with a USB cable that connects your GoPro to your iPad.
Hi, my name is Larry. I’ve been using GoPro cameras since 2014 and have been a member of the Apple ecosystem for even longer. My GoPro and iPad are always with me, and I’ve transferred hundreds of video clips between the two devices.
In this in-depth guide, I’ll explain how to quickly transfer videos from your GoPro to your iPad.
Keep reading to learn more!
- How Do I Transfer Videos from My GoPro to My iPad?
- Closing Thoughts
How Do I Transfer Videos from My GoPro to My iPad?
As I mentioned earlier, there are three ways to transfer videos from your GoPro to your iPad. Using the GoPro Quik app is the easiest method since you don’t need to have or purchase any additional accessories. However, using the app is the slowest way to transfer video files from your GoPro to your iPad. It also causes the most battery consumption.
This is because the video will transfer using Wi-Fi which is much slower than a direct connection. For this reason, I recommend purchasing a compatible dongle or USB cable.
How to Transfer GoPro Videos to iPad via GoPro Quik App
With the first strategy, I’ll discuss how to connect your GoPro to your iPad using GoPro Quik. Once your devices are paired together, you can wirelessly transfer videos from your GoPro to your iPad through the mobile app.
- Step 1: Download the GoPro Quik app on your iPad.
- Step 2: Enable Wi-Fi and BlueTooth on your iPad.
- Step 3: In your GoPro’s menu settings, locate Connections and press Connect Device.
- Step 4: Press GoPro Quik to put your camera in pairing mode. You can tap the i icon to see your GoPro’s Wi-Fi name and password.
- Step 5: Open GoPro Quik on your iPad and allow the app to scan for your camera.
- Step 6: Connect your GoPro and pair your iPad to the camera.
- Step 7: Use GoPro Quik to transfer video from your GoPro to your iPad.
Older GoPro models have different ways of pairing with an iPad so check out GoPro’s pairing guide if you’re still having trouble.
How to Transfer GoPro Videos to iPad via SD Card Reader Dongle
Another way to transfer GoPro videos to iPad is through an SD card reader dongle. This is a device you connect to your iPad and then insert your microSD card into.
There are SD card reader dongles for iPads with a USB-C port or a lightning port. However, make sure the dongle you purchase supports microSD cards since that’s what GoPro cameras use.
Furthermore, you can expect videos to transfer 3 to 4 times faster using a dongle because it offers faster speeds than a Wi-Fi transfer.
- Step 1: Insert the SD card reader dongle into your iPad.
- Step 2: Remove the microSD card from your GoPro camera.
- Step 3: Insert the microSD card reader into the SD card reader dongle. Wait a few moments until your iPad recognizes the new microSD card.
- Step 4: Open the iOS Photo Album and select the Import option. Choose to import media files from the microSD card folder.
- Step 5: Open the microSD card folder and select which videos you want to transfer to your iPad.
- Step 6: Wait a few moments as your video files are transferred from your GoPro to your iPad. Your GoPro’s video will appear in your photo album once the transfer is complete.
How to Transfer GoPro Videos to iPad via USB
The last option to quickly transfer GoPro videos to iPad is through a USB connection. If your iPad has a USB-C port, you can use the USB-C to USB-C cable that comes with your iPad.
If your iPad has a lightning port, you’ll need to use a lightning to USB-A cord in addition to a USB-C to USB-A cord.
- Step 1: Gather the appropriate cables based on the previous two paragraphs. iPad users with a USB-C port only need one cable, while iPad users with a lightning port need two cables.
- Step 2: Insert the cables into your GoPro and iPad so that they’re connected.
- Step 3: Go into the iOS Photo Album, and you should see your GoPro under ‘Devices’.
- Step 4: Select your GoPro, and you will see all the video files currently saved on your GoPro device.
- Step 5: Choose the video clips you want to transfer to your iPad and then click ‘Import’.
- Step 6: Wait a few moments as the files transfer from your GoPro into your iPad’s main storage.
Now that you understand how to transfer GoPro video to iPad, you may have a few similar questions on your mind. So let’s answer these now.
How do I put GoPro videos on iCloud?
After you’ve transferred your GoPro videos from your GoPro to your iPad, you can upload them to iCloud by visiting iCloud.com in your web browser. After logging in to iCloud, you can hit the cloud icon and select all the videos you want to upload on iCloud.
How do I transfer GoPro videos to iPhone?
The same three methods I showed above can be used for an iPhone too. So you can either use GoPro Quik, an SD card reader dongle, or a USB cable to transfer GoPro video to your iPhone. I recommend using an SD card reader dongle or a USB cable for faster upload speeds than the wireless GoPro Quik app.
You can share videos directly through GoPro Quik. Once you are finished editing a video and are happy with the results, you can select the share button and share the video to Instagram, Facebook, Messenger, YouTube, and much more.
I hope you enjoyed learning how to transfer GoPro videos to iPad and didn’t have any difficulties accomplishing your goal.
GoPros are complex devices, and I understand how frustrating it is not to be able to move videos from your GoPro to your iPad.
But now I’d love to hear from you! Do you have any additional questions you’d like me to answer about GoPro cameras? What type of action sports do you film with your GoPro camera?
Leave a comment below telling me all about it!