In recent years, drones have become increasingly popular in the retail market. While they were once incredibly expensive and only reserved for certain professional functions, that is no longer the case. Even children can use and have fun with drones in the modern day and some are very affordable.
But with dozens and dozens of different kinds of drones available, which is best for your child? Well if that’s a question you have, you have come to the right place.
- If you want an offering from one of the biggest and most trustworthy names in drones, go with the DJI Tello Quadcopter Drone. It is easy for anyone to use, but still features precise controls and relatively long flight time. It is incredibly safe and great for the whole family.
- If you’re looking for a very portable and light drone that is perfect for children and beginners, consider the DROCON Ninja Drone. It has several built-in features to make it easy to fly and learn. This includes altitude hold and an increased FOV of the camera.
- If protection is important to you, the shielded-propellers of the Snaptain H823H Mini Drone make it a good option. In addition to being relatively durable, the drone is also easy enough for almost any child to use. Headless mode and one-button take off help anyone fly it with ease.
- Want a sleek drone that is both flexible and stable? If so, the Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone is one you should consider. There are many safety features in place, and the LED lights make it one of the best beginner drones for the outdoors.
Who Should Get This?
A drone is a great gift for children who love technology, adventure and toys. You can do a lot with a drone, and they can let your child be creative, explore and try something new and exciting. If your child has shown an interest in these areas, a drone could be their new favorite toy.
Drones can take photos and videos, do exciting tricks, and playing any number of other games related to drone speed or precision. These are all use cases that could make them a great option for your child.
Of course, a drone isn’t great for a child who isn’t interested in aviation, technology or other aspects of a drone. Also, make sure you have enough space in your home or outside to fly the drone successfully without destroying things.
Best Drones for Kids: What to Consider in 2022
Size and Weight
The size and weight of a drone is something to consider before choosing which one to buy. When buying a drone for a child, you likely want one that is lightweight so it cannot hurt them or break anything.
Also, it is important to know where the drone will be flown. If it is going to be flown indoors, it should be small and as quiet as possible. Getting one that is RTF (ready to fly) is also a good idea, to ensure it is built right.
When learning to fly a drone or simply not knowing quite how they work, crashing is common. As a result, you should make sure the drone that you pick up for your kid is durable enough to withstand some impacts. The last thing you want is to spend your hard-earned money on a drone for your child, only for it to be destroyed in seconds.
Each drone has its own unique controllers and controls. Some are easy to use, and some are tough. When choosing a drone, be sure to buy one that has simple controls that are suitable for a beginner. If a drone only has expert controls, it can be confusing for a child to get the hang of.
Best Drones for Kids in 2022: Our Picks
1. DJI Tello Quadcopter Drone
With technology from leading drone manufacturer DJI onboard, the Tello is an incredibly light, fun and fully-featured drone. It includes a great camera for taking pictures and recording video and can fly up to 100m away. Its battery life is also better than most introductory drones, as it can fly for nearly 15 minutes. The drone offers precise control while still being easy to use.
- Great battery life
- DJI flight tech included to ensure a stable flight
- Comes with many additional propellers and protectors
- Some have had problems flying it in the dark
- So light that it can be hard to fly in even a little bit of wind
2. DROCON Ninja Drone
This drone is perfect for a child or a new user. It is easy to start up and includes features to make it easy to stabilize and fly. The drone can be operated right in the app and comes complete with a 720P HD camera. The drone is also incredibly portable and is easily moved or taken with you anywhere.
- There is an altitude mode for a more simple and stable flight
- The camera is better than what you might expect for the price
- Features three different speed options
- Its small size and foldable wings make it quite fragile
3. Snaptain H823H Mini Drone
This is another great option for your child or any beginner drone user. It features a headless mode to make directing the drone very simple. Other features included to make flying it a breeze include one-key returns and automatic altitude hold. The drone is also capable of doing complete flips and other exciting tricks.
- 6-axis gyro control system for great maneuvering and tricks
- Many features for easy flying
- Includes propeller protection for incidental crashes
- The drone is much smaller than it may seem
- Replacing the propellers isn’t always the easiest
4. Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone
The Holy Stone Predator is a great option for both indoor and outdoor use. It is wind resistant and has a good enough range to fly it outside without worry. It is also both stable and flexible enough to be used indoors. The prop guards and helpful headless mode make it awesome for beginners and kids alike. It also features good anti-interference control technology.
- A good performance range of 30-50 meters
- LED light mode makes it great for nighttime use
- Incredibly responsive and snappy motors
- Can be tough to hover
- The transmitter requires 6 batteries
Useful Tips and Resources
Of course, when your child is using a drone, it is a good idea to supervise to ensure they aren’t getting in trouble or destroying anything. Things can go from good to bad in seconds, so this is important.
It is also a good idea to teach the child how to correctly use the drone. There are many online resources and videos that can help them learn, including this video:
Also, be sure to teach your child how important it is to care for the drone. Drones and their components can be broken easily, so your child needs to store it in a safe place. Not only that, but they also need to be careful when flying it around the home or outside.
Buying a drone for your child can make a fantastic birthday gift, Christmas gift or gift for any other occasion. It can both entertain and educate them at the same time. Hopefully, this guide has been able to help you learn a bit more about some of the best drones for kids.
Is there a great drone for kids that you think deserved to be included in this guide? If so, don’t hesitate to let us know about it in the comments!