You probably know that baseball is the perfect sport to film with GoPros because it’s fast-paced and full of action, meaning you can fully utilize your GoPro’s abilities. However, choosing the best GoPro for baseball games is tricky since there are so many GoPro cameras to choose from.
Hi, it’s great to meet you! My name is Larry, and I’m a GoPro expert who’s had experience filming baseball games in my local rec league with various GoPro cameras.
Through my experience filming baseball games with GoPro cameras, I’ve compiled a list of the best GoPros for baseball games that I’m excited to share with you today. In today’s guide, I’ll answer a few related questions and share my favorite GoPro cameras for baseball games.
Continue reading to avoid striking out!
- The best way to film yourself during baseball games is with the GoPro Performance Chest mount attachment.
- Video quality and comfort are two of the most important factors when choosing the best GoPro for baseball games.
- You should bring additional batteries or a portable charger if you want to record full baseball games.
- The GoPro HERO10 Black is the best GoPro for baseball games because of its footage quality and zoom capabilities.
- The GoPro HERO7 Black is the best budget-friendly GoPro for recording baseball games.
Which GoPro is best for sports?
I’ve tested every GoPro model for sports and learned that the best GoPro for filming sports is the GoPro HERO10 Black. This camera offers high frame rate options, excellent video resolutions, and an incredible digital stabilization feature. You can also mount it to dozens of action camera mounts, including helmet and chest rigs.
How do you film a baseball game with a GoPro?
The best way to film a baseball game with a GoPro depends on who’s filming and what you want to film. For example, if you’re a player and want to film a first-person point of view, I recommend using a GoPro chest mount to capture your gameplay without giving up the use of your hands.
If you’re part of the audience and want to record the entire baseball game from the stands, I recommend using a GoPro tripod mount so you can easily set down your camera and record the game. This way, you can let your GoPro record by itself so you can focus on watching the game.
However, I recommend bringing an external power source since your battery may drain faster when recording continuously for long periods of time.
Is a GoPro good for recording baseball?
GoPros are excellent action cameras for recording baseball games because they offer a wide point of view and outstanding video quality. Furthermore, GoPros offer high frame rates so you can implement high-quality slo-mo on your footage during your post-production video editing process.
What’s the best camera for live streaming baseball games?
The best GoPros for livestreaming baseball games include the GoPro HERO10 Black, HERO9 Black, and HERO8 Black. In addition, these cameras offer the ability to livestream through the GoPro Quik mobile app. This means you can quickly and easily set up your livestream directly on your phone.
What Makes the Best GoPro for Baseball Games
Since there are over 20 different GoPro camera models to choose from, it’s important to understand what makes the best GoPro for baseball games. Knowing what features to consider will help you choose the best GoPro for your specific needs and requirements.
So here are the four most important factors you should consider when choosing the best GoPro for baseball games.
- Footage Quality: GoPro cameras offer impressive video quality for how small the devices are. The newest GoPro cameras offer 4K and 5K video resolution, which provides incredibly detailed footage of your baseball games. You can also use GoPros to take high-quality images since the GoPro HERO10 Black has a 23MP camera sensor.
- Electronic Image Stabilization: If you want to record first-person footage with a GoPro body mount, you should pick the GoPro with the best electronic image stabilization (EIS). EIS is a built-in feature on newer GoPro models that stabilizes shaky footage automatically. Image stabilization is less important if you want to record stationary footage behind the plate since you won’t be shaking the camera around.
- Weight and Size: The weight and size of a GoPro camera dictate how comfortable it is to mount and use. Fortunately, all GoPro cameras are incredibly lightweight compared to DSLR and mirrorless cameras.
- Mounting Options: The best GoPro for baseball games offers multiple mounting options, making it easy for you to record your preferred viewing angle. GoPro mounts allow you to record baseball games without using your hands.
Top 5 Best GoPros for Baseball Games
Now that you understand what makes the best GoPro for baseball games, let’s dive into my list of the five best choices. I created this list based on personal experiences I’ve had recording baseball games and other sports like soccer and basketball. Furthermore, I spoke with other GoPro experts to hear their thoughts on the best GoPro for baseball games.
1. GoPro HERO10 Black (Best Overall)
- Max Video Resolutions: 5.3K at 60fps, 4K at 120fps, 2.7K at 240fps
- Camera Sensor: 23MP (Megapixels)
- Weight and Size: 5.6 ounces / 2.7 x 2 x 1.1” (width x height x depth)
- Electronic Image Stabilization: HyperSmooth 4.0
The GoPro HERO10 Black came out in September 2021 and is the best GoPro for baseball games. As the latest GoPro release, the HERO10 offers the most advanced video quality and camera technology.
One of the main features of the HERO10 Black is its GP2 processor. In fact, the HERO10 is the only GoPro with the GP2 processor. Since a camera’s processor is the engine that keeps it running, the GP2 processor provides better video quality, faster camera speeds, and a more responsive LCD touchscreen experience.
Additionally, the HERO10 Black is the only GoPro featuring HyperSmooth 4.0 electronic image stabilization technology. Despite running and sliding around, I was stunned at how smooth my baseball footage looked with my HERO10 Black. HyperSmooth 4.0 produces such stable footage that it looks like I recorded my footage using a gimbal.
However, it’s important to remember that since this is the newest GoPro model, it comes with a relatively higher price point than other options. Nonetheless, the slight price difference is entirely worth it if you plan to use your GoPro regularly for baseball games or other action sports.
My Verdict: The GoPro HERO10 Black is the best GoPro for baseball games because it offers the best footage quality and electronic image stabilization. It also features the new GP2 processor, which enables faster camera speeds and a smoother experience.
2. GoPro HERO9 Black (Best Older Generation)
- Max Video Resolutions: 5K at 30fps, 4K at 60fps, 2.7K at 120fps, 1080p at 240fps
- Camera Sensor: 20MP
- Weight and Size: 5.2 ounces / 2.8 x 2.2 x 1.3” (width x height x depth)
- Electronic Image Stabilization: HyperSmooth 3.0
The GoPro HERO9 Black is the second best GoPro for baseball games because it’s the second newest GoPro camera. Therefore, this camera offers the second best recording capabilities and camera features.
You can think of the HERO9 Black as a slightly less advanced version of the HERO10 Black. This is because the HERO9 features the older HyperSmooth 3.0 EIS technology and GP1 processor.
Although HyperSmooth 3.0 is older than the newer HyperSmooth 4.0, it’s more advanced than nearly every image stabilizer seen on other action cameras on the market. So if you plan to mount your GoPro to your body to record first-person gameplay, HyperSmooth 3.0 offers buttery smooth footage as you run and slide around.
Furthermore, the HERO9 features a large 2.3 LCD touchscreen you can use to change your settings and view your footage. The HERO9 offers better video quality and battery life than even older GoPro models.
However, the only drawback of choosing the HERO9 Black is that it isn’t the HERO10 Black. Therefore, you should remember that the HERO10 Black offers better performance and recording capabilities at a relatively small price difference.
My Verdict: The GoPro HERO9 Black is the best older generation GoPro because it’s nearly as good as the HERO10 Black but comes at a lower price point.
3. GoPro HERO8 Black (Best Budget 4K)
- Max Video Resolutions: 4K at 60fps, 2.7K at 120fps, 1080p at 240fps
- Camera Sensor: 12MP
- Weight and Size: 4.4 ounces / 2.6 x 1.9 x 1.1” (width x height x depth)
- Electronic Image Stabilization: HyperSmooth 2.0
The GoPro HERO8 Black is the best budget-friendly 4K action camera because it offers incredible value for its price point. In addition, this camera features 4K recording capabilities at 60fps and HyperSmooth 2.0 electronic image stabilization. These two features allow you to record highly detailed footage of your baseball games.
Since you can record 1080p footage at 240fps, you can put 8x slo-mo on your videos to produce a high-quality slow motion effect. This way, you can analyze your gameplay to see what you can do to improve your skills for the future.
In addition to the HERO8 Black’s suite of recording settings, the camera also features HyperSmooth 2.0. Although this is two generations older than the newest HyperSmooth 4.0, it offers more video stabilization than most action cameras on the market.
However, it’s important to consider the drawbacks of choosing the HERO8 Black. The primary downside of this camera is that it’s less advanced than the HERO10 Black and HERO9 Black. Although it provides more than enough recording features for most baseball players or fans, it doesn’t offer top-notch video resolutions.
My Verdict: The GoPro HERO8 Black is the best budget 4K GoPro for baseball games because it features fantastic recording capabilities and camera qualities with the ability to record 4K videos at 60fps.
4. GoPro HERO7 Black (Best Budget)
- Max Video Resolutions: 4K at 60fps, 2.7K at 120fps, 1080p at 240fps
- Camera Sensor: 12MP
- Weight and Size: 4.1 ounces / 2.6 x 1.8 x 1.4” (width x height x depth)
- Electronic Image Stabilization: HyperSmooth 1.0
The GoPro HERO7 Black is the first GoPro camera that included GoPro’s HyperSmooth electronic image stabilization technology. This camera can also record high-quality videos with 4K resolution at 60fps. Furthermore, you can take excellent pictures using the HERO7’s 12MP camera sensor.
In comparison to even older GoPro cameras, the HERO7 Black features better microphone quality and audio performance. This is helpful for baseball players or fans who want to capture organic sounds of the game and player or crowd reactions.
In addition, the HERO7 Black offers live streaming capabilities, HyperSmooth 1.0, HDR recording, and the ability to use 8x slo-mo when recording 1080p footage at 240fps.
However, it’s important to note that this camera is over four years old. For this reason, there are better GoPros in terms of camera performance and video quality. Nevertheless, the HERO7 is an excellent option if you want an affordable way to record memorable experiences at future baseball games.
My Verdict: The GoPro HERO7 Black is the best budget-friendly GoPro for baseball games because it offers impeccable recording capabilities at a relatively low price point. This camera offers more than enough to record high-quality footage of your baseball games.
5. GoPro HERO5 Session (Best Compact)
- Max Video Resolutions: 4K at 30fps, 2.7K at 48fps, 1440p at 60fps, 1080p at 90fps
- Camera Sensor: 10 MP
- Weight and Size: 2.6 ounces / 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.4” (width x height x depth)
- Electronic Image Stabilization: Built-in image stabilization (no HyperSmooth)
The GoPro HERO5 Session is one of the most compact action cameras available, with dimensions of 1.5 inches tall, 1.5 inches wide, and 1.4 inches deep. To paint a picture of how small this camera really is, 1.5 inches is the same length as a sewing needle or safety pin.
In addition, this miniature action camera weighs only 74 grams, which is less than four double A batteries. For this reason, this is one of the best GoPros you can use if you want to mount it to your body to record a first-person point of view.
However, just because the HERO5 Session is so small doesn’t mean it can’t provide impressive recording capabilities. This is because the HERO5 Session records footage in 4K at 30fps, 2.7K at 48fps, 1440p at 60fps, and 1080p at 90fps. Therefore, you can easily find your preferred video resolution to record baseball games.
There are some disadvantages to point out since this is an older GoPro model and because the camera is so small. First of all, the camera features a built-in battery that isn’t replaceable. As such, I recommend bringing a portable charger and cable if you want to record a whole baseball game.
Furthermore, the HERO5 Session is the only GoPro on today’s list without an LCD touchscreen. This means you’ll need to pair the camera with GoPro Quik on your smartphone to review footage while you’re at the baseball game.
My Verdict: The GoPro HERO5 Session is the best compact GoPro for baseball games if you want a lightweight action camera to mount to your body to record a first-person point of view.
Today’s guide on the best GoPro for baseball games explained which GoPro you should go for. Not only will a GoPro help you record incredibly detailed footage of your baseball games, but you can also edit and share videos easily with the GoPro Quik mobile app.
By now, you should’ve decided on which GoPro you want to use for future baseball games. The GoPro HERO10 Black is my favorite option since it features the best recording settings and camera capabilities. However, you can’t go wrong with the HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, or HERO7 Black.
So now I’d love to hear from you. Which GoPro camera did you pick? Do you have any additional questions about GoPros and how to use them for baseball games? Either way, let me know by dropping a quick comment down below!
I’ll do my best to answer your questions as soon as I can.