The GoPro doesn’t do much good if you can’t actually do anything with the videos. Thankfully, connecting a GoPro to a computer to transfer your videos or pictures is a simple process.
First, we’ll go over the method you can use to download files from any camera or video camera, then we’ll go through a GoPro-specific method that has a few more features.
Ready to see your first GoPro videos?
Good, here’s how to connect a GoPro to a computer.
What You’ll Need
- Your GoPro.
- A computer.
- A USB cord. Your GoPro should have shipped with a USB cord — it’s the same cord you use to charge the GoPro.
- GoPro Studio. This is an optional method for uploading your files, but it offers a few more features. When you use GoPro Studio, you’ll have a lot of editing options once you’re done. And, the download is free.
Method #1: Connect, then Drag and Drop
Step 1. Turn the GoPro off. Plug the small end of the USB cord into the side of your GoPro — to do this, you’ll need to take the GoPro out of the housing. The USB port is on the side, above the Micro SD card. Then, plug the opposite end of the cord into a USB port on your computer.
Step 2. Locate the GoPro files on your computer, then drag and drop to the desired location:
A pop-up window may show when you plug the camera in — if it does, you can click the “Import Pictures And Videos” option, then choose a folder to upload them to and follow the instructions that pop up on the screen.
If a window doesn’t pop-up when you plug the GoPro in:
- Go to Start, then Computer. In the Computer Window, your GoPro will show underneath “Portable Devices”. Double click to open the GoPro.
- Open a second window (Start > Computer) and then navigate to where you would like to save the files, such as “My Documents” or a “Photos” folder.
- Click and drag the top toolbar to move the window to one side, so you can see both windows.
- Go back to the GoPro window, click to highlight the files you would like (or press Control + A to select them all).
- With the files highlighted, click and hold and drag them over to the second window.
- Once you drag them over, they’ll begin transferring and you’ll have the files on your computer.
- Open Image Capture (Use the magnifying glass in the top right corner to find it if you aren’t sure).
- Select the GoPro from the left underneath “Devices”. Your “Pictures” folder is the default upload location; if you’d like to save them to a different folder, use the drop-down menu on the bottom of the screen to select a new location.
- Highlight the files you want to upload and hit “Import” or select “Import All” to add all your photos.
Method #2: Using GoPro Studio
Update: GoPro Studio is now no longer available to download or use. According to their official FAQ page, the reason for this is because GoPro Studio has reached its end-of-life for support.
GoPro has developed software to help users get the most out of their videos. Along with editing your videos, you can use GoPro Studio to import your files. Using this method will take longer the first time because you have to download the software, but after the initial set-up, uploads are automatic.
Step 1. Download GoPro Studio (if you haven’t already) at the official GoPro website. Once the file has downloaded, open it to run the set-up.
Step 2. Open GoPro Studio. You’ll be asked if you’d like to use GoPro Studio as the default importer. Hit “yes”. Choose a name for the folder for your images, then click continue. On this next screen, you can set up your preferences, including where your GoPro folder is saved. Check the top box to view your files right away and the second one to delete the files from your GoPro once they’ve imported successfully.
Step 3. Plug the GoPro into your computer using the black USB cable (Follow the instructions for step 1 in the first method if you need more details). With the auto-import set-up, your files will automatically begin importing to the folder you selected. The next time you need to import videos, you can skip steps one and two — if GoPro Studio doesn’t open when you plug the camera in, just manually open the application and your automatic download should begin.
Connecting the GoPro to your computer is a simple process, once you understand how it’s done. Using the GoPro Studio, you can set up automatic imports to make uploads/downloads even simpler, or you can continue using the drag and drop method, which works on any camera with a USB cord.
Like this tutorial? Comments and shares are like pats on the back, so leave us one — or ask a question if you need additional help.