Now that you have taken a couple of photos with your Canon camera, you would like to transfer them to your computer. Luckily, importing photos is a fairly easy process and should not take you very long.
Depending on your computer, there are two ways of transferring your images: with a memory card slot, or USB cord. In this article, I will outline the steps you need to take to download photos via both methods.
Because I have a Mac, note that the screen display might be slightly different from yours. Nevertheless, the process for importing images is virtually the same across platforms.
Note: in rare cases (often caused by improper operation), you might lose some items during the transfer, learn more from this Canon photo recovery article.
Method 1: Using an SD Card Slot
1. If you have a memory card slot in your computer, remove the memory card from your Canon camera.
2. Insert the SD card into the slot. On Mac, the slot is located to the right of the keyboard.
3. On the screen, an Image Capture window will immediately pop up. This includes a preview of all of the pictures.
4. You can highlight the images and press “Import” or “Import All”, which are located at the bottom right corner. You can also change the destination of the photo import.
5. Now you’re done. Your photos have been transferred.
6. If you would like, you can delete all of the images by highlighting all of the images and pressing the red button in the bottom left-hand corner.
7. When you’re finished, be sure to safely eject your SD card from your computer.
8. If, however, ImageCapture did not show up you can access the images in memory card folder. On Mac, the folder can be found under “Devices” in Finder.
9. Double click to open the folder. You can select all or only several of the photos to copy-paste onto a folder in your computer hard drive.
10. Safely eject the SD card from your computer.
Method 2: Using a USB port
If you are downloading images via a port, you will need a USB cord. Personally, because I do not always have a USB cord on me, I prefer the method above for importing photos with a memory card slot.
- Using the USB cord, connect your camera to your computer.
- On Windows, an AutoPlay window will pop up. You can click the button below to import your images.
- On Mac, you will encounter the Image Capture windows; follow step 3 above to transfer your images. (You can highlight whichever images you would like to Import, and then click “Import” or “Import All”)
- After that, you can go ahead and delete the images. To do so, select all of the photos (Command + A) and drag the files to the trash can.
- Voila! You’re done. As for all of the other steps, make sure to properly eject your Canon camera from the computer!
Transferring photos from your Canon camera to a computer is a pretty swift process, and I hope that this article helped you. Feel free to share the article, or leave comments and suggestions below.