Security wires are a necessity for anyone who wants to have outside cameras, but they can also be annoying and a bit of an eyesore. Luckily, there are quite a few ways to effectively hide them if you know how.
I’m a tech enthusiast who spent years using cameras. I have also installed security models more than a few times. That combination, along with strong research and the checking of first-hand accounts, allowed me to cover the following processes.
Below, I go over the best ways to hide outdoor security cameras by looking at the steps in great detail and walking through each step.
Let’s see how they work.
Things to Prepare
When getting ready to hide security camera wires you want a set of tools. The exact ones you need differ based on what method you use to conceal them, but it’s important to have a hammer, pliers, and screwdriver handy at all times. Glue or adhesive is good to have as well.
How to Hide Security Camera Wires Outside (Paint Them)
The first, and perhaps simplest, step you can take towards concealing your wires is to paint them in a way that helps them blend in with either your house or the environment around them.
- Step 1: Gather your wires.
- Step 2: Staple them to the walls with a staple gun so they are off the ground.
- Step 3: Paint the wires the same color of the walls. If you can’t exactly match the wall color, get as close as you can.
- Step 4: If you can’t find the right color, think about using a cord cover. They often come in many wall colors and you won’t have to actually do any painting.
How to Hide Security Camera Wires Outside (Baseboards)
If you want to tuck your wires completely out of the way, the baseboards are another great place to hide them. Just be sure you have enough doors to get everything tucked away.
- Step 1: Plan the route by mapping out where you want the cables to lie.
- Step 2: Use a hammer or similar prying tools to get the baseboards from their place.
- Step 3: Set the cables in the gap that now exists between the wall and the floor.
- Step 4: Place the baseboards back and fasten them into place with a nail or glue.
How to Hide Security Camera Wires Outside (Concealer Kit)
A concealer kit is another effective method that will ensure your security camera wires remain unseen. The devices are made to blend in with your wall or other parts of your house, giving you a convenient way to make sure nobody sees your wires regardless of where they are.
- Step 1: Gather all of the items the kit comes with, ranging from screws and anchors to raceway channels and connectors.
- Step 2: Get any extra tools the kit calls for, as well as any you think you might need for installation.
- Step 3: Map out where you want your wires and place or run them through the necessary places.
- Step 4: Use the covers to conceal your wires. Note: Once the covers are on you likely won’t be able to access your wires. If you need to get to them later, you’ll likely need the help of a professional.
- Step 5: If the covers aren’t the color that you want, you can also paint over them to better match your walls.
How to Hide Security Camera Wires Outside (Plastic Tubes)
Another great way to keep your camera wires out of the way is to keep them enclosed in plastic tubes, which both ensure they don’t show and protects them from the elements. You can do this on your own, or you can hire someone with more experience.
- Step 1: Buy or gather plastic tubing that’s open on both ends.
- Step 2: Map out where you want to place the tubes and your wires.
- Step 3: Drill into the studs along the walls where you want to set up the tubes and use the holes to place ties or similar holders.
- Step 4: Set up the tubes, then feed the cables through them.
How to Hide Security Camera Wires Outside (Walls and Ceilings)
If you want something even more clandestine, you also have the option to run your cables through the wall or ceiling. This process is a bit more involved, but it’s a great choice if your camera and power source are only separated by a wall.
- Step 1: Turn off your power source to prevent any dangerous accidents.
- Step 2: Locate where you want to run your wires.
- Step 3: Drill holes in the place where the outlet sits and run a dowel or wire hanger through the space to make sure there are no obstructions.
- Step 4: Push the wires through the holes.
How to Hide Security Camera Wires Outside (Wireless Camera)
If you do not want to do any of the above methods due to compilation or time, you always have the option to install a completely wireless camera. Any model that uses batteries or solar panels simply cuts out the need for wires and enables you a bit more flexibility.
There are several ways to effectively hide security camera wires. The one you pick comes down to your personal experience, as well as how much work you can put.
A wireless option is incredibly simple. You can hire a professional, which is less work on your end but costs more money. Or you can save cash and put in work by doing it yourself. Regardless, all of the above processes work well once you know what you’re doing.
Have you ever concealed your security camera wires? What method did you use and why? Let us know below.